Thursday, October 16, 2008

Oh, the places you'll go! (part 1)

I've arrived in Israel....finally!

Having set off on Monday afternoon from Los Angeles, I finally landed in Tel Aviv on Wednesday night. The long and short of it is that my flight from LA was delayed by two hours, which left me stranded in Atlanta having missed my connecting flight by a mere twenty minutes.

Ho-hum.

I'm now sitting in my father's ground floor apartment, a small studio that's just big enough, and am thrilled at the connectivity I am enjoying half-way around the world.

It's not yet sunk in that I'm going to be away from my life for the next three weeks. Maybe I'm in denial, maybe I'm not really all that gone, but I've certainly not relinquished the many concerns that come hand-in-hand with every day living. Work, bills, choices, work, bills, choices...

The language barrier still proves an obstacle as my brain struggles to switch to Hebrew. So far, I'm translating words and concepts from one language to another and vice versa. Eventually I'll be seamlessly switching from one to the other, not using a filter for both. I wouldn't be surprised if these posts become more incoherent as my hebrew improves....it's just a matter of time.

In a few hours, we're heading out to a family barbecue, where I will become reacquainted with aunts, uncles, cousins, and their children.  It's always awkward the first time around as I try desperately to remember the names of the many kids who seem to grow up exponentially to the years I am away.

I'm also, slowly, weaning myself off the internet. I will be without this alluring collection of one's and zero's for the next three days and I can't remember the last time a day went by in which I did not once check my e-mail.

Should the system crash while I'm not looking, know that I love you all dearly and that in a post-internet world, I will update my Facebook status by carrier pigeon.

End of line.

No comments: